Friday, November 12, 2021

TASTER COURSE!

 WEEK 136

Michael
Origin : Malaysia 
Watchmaking class: Technician & Fullskill 
Current mood: It was a busy week for me, learning to draw the Swiss lever escapement on paper and understanding the escapement in a more detailed approach. I used the escapement book from Henry B Fried as a reference. Have a great weekend everyone! 


Renato & David
Origin: Zug, Zürich, Switzerland
Watchmaking class: Fullskill
Current mood: This week I finally had my winding stem exam after doing plenty of practice stems / exams. Very intense exam and I'm happy it went well. Did a lot of experimenting around the stem heat treatment to make the somewhat random outcome less random. Besides that I continued filing the setting lever I made for one of my movements and to adjust it to the prototype winding stem. Real one from steel to follow next. Intense week, now I'm ready for some relaxation :) Renato

This week I worked on finishing my tools. I completed the balance bridge holder and the pointed head nose vice. Pictures next week. David


Francesco, Åsmund & Robert
Origin: Italy, Norway, USA
Watchmaking class: Fullskill 
Current mood: Hello everyone, this week I’ve finished with plating the tool for balance wheels. It turned out pretty good I would say!
Then I’ve started with the jig borer, I’ve made  some holes for the pointed nose vice and for the polishing tripod. At the beginning it took some time to deal with it, then after some practice, I noticed that’s really handy and intuitive. 
Now I’ve just started with the screws for some tools at the lathe. 
See you next week! 
Francesco.

Hello everyone,
This week I went back to basics with filing, had to make perfect squares and getting the right flatness for both the sides and bottom/top surface and at the same time not rounding corners or edges. So I spent some time trying different tools and techniques. They are going to be milled into a polishing tripod and a brass anvil. 
Have a good weekend.




STEP 1:  TASTER COURSE! (TETSUYA)
Tetsuya taking the taster course!


STEP 2:  VISITS! (FULLSKILL)
Over the weekend the students also went to visit Greubel and Forsey and some other companies as well!


STEP 3:  BORING HOLES! (FRANCESCO)
Francesco boring out the larger holes on his brass anvil in the jig borer!


STEP 4:  TOOLS! (FRANCESCO)
Francesco almost finished his compass style balance wheel support, just missing 2 decorative stones and some retouching of finish!


STEP 5:  DRAWING! (MICHAEL)
Michael drawing the swiss lever escapement by hand!


STEP 6:  BOOKS! (KHWCC LIBRARY)



This could be a great book if having to work on a marine chronometer, it has great explanations and illustrations!


STEP 7:  ADJUSTMENTS! (RENATO)
Renato adjusting the fit of the setting lever to his prototype brass winding stem!



HENRIK's WORDS:


Very busy week! We had Tetsuya taking the taster course which was really nice! Renato continued with winding stems and also did his winding stem exam and ended the week with continuing to adjust his setting lever for one of his pocket watches. Michael was busy with designing watch parts for a project he is working on, and the other students continued trying to finish as many tools as possible including electro plating them. Francesco finished and plated his compass style balance wheel support. David also finished a couple of tools. Nice week in general! Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment