Friday, August 20, 2021

BACK TO IT!

 WEEK 124

Alex, Michael
Origin : Taiwan, Malaysia 
Watchmaking class: Technician & Fullskill 
Current mood: N/A


Renato & David
Origin: Zug, Zürich, Switzerland
Watchmaking class: Fullskill
Current mood: Got to next area on the way to making winding stems: slot cutting on blued steel! Shaped my own carbide cutters beforehand on the diamond discs of the Agathon, optimizing the shape, to be able to cut close to the 8mm lathe collet as the practice pieces are only 5mm long. Prepared several blued steel pieces on the Schaublin lathe with cones on both ends and markings for the slot cutting on the 8mm lathe. Then started hand turning the slots in different widths, see pics. The carbide cutters work very nice on the blued steel. Like cutting brass with HSS cutters :) Fun experience finally hand turning hardened steel. Actual winding stem making is next on the list, cool! Renato.

This week I started working on hand filing winding stems. I created a wooden tool to practice hand filing. The difficulty in this is to file all 4 sides equal, while holding the piece against a slot in the wood with the pin vice. After some practice I moved on to the 8mm lathe where I could equally move the piece 45° to equally distribute the 4 sides of the square. Then started to turn the 5 pieces in the lathe to match the dimensions that are given. David.



Francesco, Åsmund & Robert
Origin: Italy, Norway, USA
Watchmaking class: Fullskill 
Current mood: This week I focused myself on improving my filing, I continued with internal corners and I’ve just started the final piece that will be graded. I started practicing the finishing technique, I decided to start with straight graining which is an important part of my next filing exam. 
See you next week! 
Francesco.

Hello,

We are back from summer vacation and the first week are over. It was very pleasant to go back to Norway, I went on a road trip to and went to the mountains. Always nice to enjoy the fresh air and views. It gave me more motivation for the others projects and tasks were going to start on.

The past week I started on the brass truing guide and has been working on that since Monday. I finished the internal corners on Thursday and I only have to finish it before I deliver it to Henrik. That was a very fun task to do, and I’m looking forward to do more internal corners. I also did some minor filing on the balance wheel holder. I did not have time to capture any pictures yet, but I’ll take some pictures of the brass truing guide next Friday when it’s finished. 

Robert has been working on the steel angular ruler and as I’ve seen it’s going good thus far, it’s going to be cool to see when he’s finished! 

(Robert adds: This steel angular rule has been a lesson in patience and humility.)


Until next time 
Åsmund 


STEP 1:  TOOLS! (ALEX)
Alex pointed nose vice assembled!


STEP 2:  TURNING! (FRANCESCO)
Francesco turning some parts for his tools.


STEP 3:  HARDENING! (DAVID)



STEP 4:  GRINDING! (RENATO)
Renato grinding a slot graver from raw stock!


One practice slot done!


STEP 5:  BOOKS! (RENATO)
Nice books!




STEP 6:  RESTORATION PROJECTS! (RENATO)







Renato brought these very interesting pocket watch movements to show, he will later restore them.


STEP 7:  FILING! (DAVID)
Filing square practice!





HENRIK's WORDS:


Back to work! It was a pleasant and nice summer break, once in a while it’s great to step back from everyday work and have a reflection. Nothing too special happening this first week after the break, the students mostly continued with the work they had before the break, Renato learn something new; how to grind slot gravers in the Agathon Grinding machine free hand, he also tried out these graver’s cutting hardened and tempered steel. Michael and Alex finished some old tools, it was in general a great start of the second half of the year. Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment