Friday, November 22, 2019

Keep Calm, Its Exam Time! & Highlights from Restoration II


WEEK 33

Harman Wadhwa 
Origin : New Delhi, India
Age : 28
Watchmaking class : 8 month Service & Technician course
Current mood : 

Pierre Aubert
Origin : Toulouse, France
Age : 23
Watchmaking class : 2Y Fullskill Program
Current mood: I spent the week practicing pivot turning and burnishing in preparation for my first trial exam. I took it this morning and was pretty happy with the results for a first trial exam. I look forward to improving the pace for next week. The rest of my time was dedicated to some tools that I need to finish. No time for the school watch at the moment, it will surely come back soon! When it is the right time, I guess! We were also lucky to have some decent snow early in the week, which reminded me of my winters in Montreal! 😎 Have a great weekend everyone. 

Markus McDonald 
Origin : Stockholm Sweden 
Age : 20
Watchmaking class: 2 years Fullskill Program
Current mood : This week I continued my work on the winding stem squares finishing all 5 models however I had to redo models 4 and 3 as both of these models where under the dimension and required re doing as this is crucial in a winding stems quality.

Alex
Origin : Kaohsiung, Taiwan 
Age : 26
Watchmaking : 2Y Fullskill Program
Current mood: I continued with my tool. It's getting really close now. After that would be the filling exam. It's truly a time of fill and blood for me. At least the weather is extremely nice!!!

HENRIK's WORDS:
The students are doing great at the moment, but I can also feel everyone are getting more tired the closer we get to the holidays, intensive times indeed! Pierre and Harman are preparing for exams, Alex will soon start to prepare for his filing exam and Markus is going closer and closer to the winding stem exam. I have a feeling the end of this year will be very intensive. Last week we had no time to do a post as we all were far too busy! The students worked on independent projects and I was very busy teaching 5 watchmakers from all over the world a restoration class, which turned out to be not only very interesting but also very fun! we had two subjects; how to deal with gears and hairsprings in restoration, the students got to try out making an hour wheel, burnishing pivots of pinions, making experiments with gear train faults and measuring their impacts in the Witschi X1 timing machine to more deeply understand their impacts on amplitude, as well as trying out the topping tool, and calculating missing gears; what module cutter to order, how many teeth or leaves they should have and the full diameters. we also had time talking about hairsprings and how to source material, what to do if they are broken and practicing restoring bent hairsprings and some even got time to raise the double bends for Breguet hairsprings, very intensive but efficient course I felt, exhausting too :) I am still a bit tired to be perfectly honest! Oh! and as a topping on the cake, we even got time to make a quick visit to Mr. Simonin where the students could find the literature and tools they needed to grow their restoration careers. Below I share some highlights from the course, enjoy! and have a great weekend to all and see you next week!

Everyone busy!

Milling wheel teeth!

Trying out the topping tool!

Burnishing pivots of pinions!

Analyzing impact of worn barrel teeth!


Finishing the milled hour wheel!

Checking!

The restoration II team!

Handing out certificates!

Happy faces!

Inside the microscope while milling teeth!

Visit to Mr. Simonins store!

Drooling over tools!

What a brilliant week it was!!


No comments:

Post a Comment