Friday, June 7, 2019

Summer Arrived In Le Locle!

WEEK 9:

Harman Wadhwa 
Origin : New Delhi, India
Age : 28
Watchmaking class : 8 month Service & Technician course
Current mood : This week was better than expected, I had my first intermediate exam which went pretty well 😁💃. In coming days I have to keep practicing for my final gear train exam which is on 21st of June, so till then will be finishing my exercises on barrels and gear train.



Pierre Aubert
Origin : Toulouse, France
Age : 22
Watchmaking class : 2Y Fullskill Program
Current mood: Very Exciting week!! Most of my school time was dedicated to modifying my files so that I can file the appropriate and desired sharp angles required for a few tools. I love grinding on the lathe haha!! It is very satisfying. 
 As for my after school time 😎, a lot has happened. Or at least from my perspective 😆. I finished preparing my Yoke design and the required sequence of operations to make it on the Jig Borer. It has come out very nicely 😉!! I will let you see the pictures (STEP 3 onward) and read the step by step description!! Feel free to ask any questions about the process!! I would be happy to share watchmaking experiences! Have a great weekend and see you next week!!

Markus Mc Donald
Origin : Stockholm, Sweden
Age: 20
STEP 1: HARMAN's TEST EXAM

Harman to the wheels:  why you are so complicated?

Bought these goodies from Herrli.






Interesting Franco Indian merger 

What to invest on? Harman's confusion at its apogee 😝

Sunny day in Biel/Bienne

STEP 3: MARKUS & THE LATHE 


STEP 3: 
PIERRE SCHOOL's WATCH => GETTING AHEAD WITH THE YOKE

Jig Boring Sequence of operations! 

 Setting up my work


It is actually coming out nicely and along the lines of my initial design! 

 Sawing a rough shape of the yoke for grinding operations. Grinding on the lathe has then allowed me to remove the bulk material and get closer to the required shape. Final adjustments are made by hand filing!

After a day of filing 😍 => The Yoke is fitting nicely on the main plate. The next step is hardening the Yoke before I bring it to final dimensions. Why? As I decided to combine the Yoke and its spring into one piece, I have a very thin section that can easily bend. I don't want it to snap. Hardening and tempering it will prevent this, and will allow me to file the spring section afterwards. Then, I will refine my angles and start beveling it!

 Hardening => Such a fascinating process!!! There is so much science involved in it..!! I loved it. 

 Tempering

HENRIK'S WORDS
What a lovely diverse week and hot! The summer finally came! we were melting on Tuesday as we were not yet used to such high temperatures! Harman was very busy getting ready for his first practice exam on the gear train, which went well. Pierre continuing on his school watch project and tool making, which is going faster than what I expected, and Markus got introduced to the Schaublin 70 watchmakers lathe, and finally we all ended the week together practicing heat treating steel. As I have been too busy preparing and teaching courses this week I got no time with my sapphire project, but will notify the next time I get a chance making something for it. As I was in a hurry last week I did not get the time to show all the pictures of Francesco's Restoration II course, so I put some more below, see you next week and have a great weekend!!

Rhodium plating watch parts


Practicing making and polishing screw chamfer's

Practicing circular graining and bluing.

No comments:

Post a Comment