Friday, April 3, 2020

HABITS

WEEK 52


Pierre Aubert, James Punshon, Jayne Zhuo

Origin : Sydney, Australia. Toulouse, France. Singapore.
Age : 23
Watchmaking class: Technician Course
Current mood: Bonjour Jayne here. This 2nd week of home schooling has been great thus far! It lets you experience what it feels like to run your own workshop at home. Man, I must say, it aint easy at all! So much discipline involve. Other than that, intense week of trial exams yet so fulfilling because you know you can do it when you put your heart and soul to it. Stay safe everyone. Ciao~ 

Markus McDonald 
Origin : Stockholm Sweden 
Age : 21
Watchmaking class: 2 years Fullskill Program
Current mood: This week I focused on three different things making the week both intense and highly productive.
Firstly much like last week I focused on the pivot gauge being to improve them in accuracy and consistency not being perfect but making substantial progress especially with integrating the new techniques that I developed.
Secondly I worked on one of three winding stems, specifically a winding stem in the style of a keyless pocket watch that I based off of measurements that I took from a real pocket watch which when I make will be able to directly slot it into the watch. The reasoning for choosing a practical model to work off is that it would be incredibly satisfying but an important learning experience, that applies to any personal and professional restoration.
Thirdly and last and the most difficult that I started this week was burnishing.

Michael
Origin : Malaysia
Age : 28
Watchmaking class : 2 years Fullskill Program
Current Mood: This has been a very challenging week for me. All filing on hands. Finished the ‘omega’ piece. (I think I will consider doing it again. It’s really fun!). Also had my trial exam today. Filing has really taught me to be patience in every way. By the way, It’s Henrik’s Birthday this Friday as our usual blog day! Done for the week. 

Alex
Origin : Kaohsiung, Taiwan 
Age : 27
Watchmaking : 2Y Fullskill Program
Current mood: It was a rather intense week with 2 trial exams done. The result from the first one is far from ideal to say the least. Multiple mistakes were made in the process. But I don't dislike the situation to be honest, on the contrary, I think this is exactly what I need from time to time. It is disappointing moment like this that reminds me to keep the feet on the ground. It's not pleasant but I cherish it. Hope the second trial piece receives a better review. 


 STEP 1: PREPPING SHELLAC BEFORE EXAM (PIERRE)

 STEP 2: ESCAPEMENT WORK (JAYNE)




 STEP 3: WINDING STEMS (ALEX)
PREPARING THE POLISHING AND CLEANING FOAM

WIND STEM PRACTICING


 
STEP 4: HAND FILING (MICHAEL)

HENRIK's WORDS:


We continue the same way as last week, trying to be as close to our normal habits as possible but from home. It has been a busy week as the students are getting ready for exams, for which I had to find a suitable way for them to do at home, so far everything is going seamlessly. I also adjusted my camera setup and can now very easily make live video streaming from what I see in my microscope, very handy indeed! To do it even easier Jayne was kind to donate a very nice tripod to the school! I am learning a lot about distance teaching I feel! Its very interesting and I think it could be a nice supplemental part of future education even for learning certain parts of watchmaking! Peter Speake-Marin of The Naked Watchmaker did an amazing nice work on the school which I saw the draft page and the videos already. Will let you know ones its out. Stay healthy and try to find and focus on the positive things in life no matter how small they are! We will get out of this one stronger than ever before! Enjoy the weekend!

 









No comments:

Post a Comment