Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Student Interview with Tryggvi Sigurbjörnsson

Hello everyone. We thought it would be a good idea to interview and introduce our students to the watchmaking world. First up is our Icelandic viking and watchmaking phenomenon, Tryggvi.


Name: Tryggvi Sigurbjörnsson
Age: 29 and 15 months
Nationality/Origin: Iceland


What attracted you to watchmaking?
I’ve always been attracted to watches. I remember wearing a watch long before I could tell the time. When I got older I use to see advertisements from all the big brands in magazines and dreamed about owning one. I bought my first mechanical watch 06.06.06 and since then I wanted to know more and get to know what was inside.

What did you do before you started studying watchmaking?
Tryggvi's school watch
I was a fisherman/deckhand.

What has been your favorite part/subject of your time at school so far?
When I was designing and making my school watch. That was truly amazing. It is so exciting to see your thoughts transform into something real. Learning from all the trials and errors making the watch despite using Autocad program was immense.

What is your favorite watch brand and why?
It’s hard to say. I do appreciate most the companies that have in-house movements and are willing to do something new. Not always the same old stuff like 95% of the brands out there.

What was your first watch? How old were you when you got it?
I have no clue what brand my first watch was but I was 6 years old. My second watch was Casio LCD watch, like every young boy in Iceland had. My first mechanical watch was Breitling Cockpit Chronograph. My friends thought I was crazy spending all that money on a watch instead of partying.

How many watches do you own?
I own 4 watches today.
Ulysse Nardin - Hammerhead shark
Rolex - Submariner Green
Breitling - Cosmonaute
Tudor - Black bay

What do you plan on doing after school?
My plan is to work in a service center and hopefully go independent sometime in the future.

What do you like/dislike about the watchmaking industry?
Too much glamour and false advertisement.

What do you like to do in your free time here?
I have used the opportunity and traveled around Europe. It is great to be in the center of the continent.


Us here at K&H Watchmaking Competence Centre would like to thank Tryggvi for taking his time and answer few of our questions. Tryggvi's homepage is: www.tsw.is, please check it out.

------------
Disclaimer: The opinions of the students of K&H Watchmaking Competence Centre do not necessarily represent the opinions of the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment