Friday, September 13, 2019

Cook Out!

 Cook Out

Week 23

Harman Wadhwa 
Origin : New Delhi, India
Age : 28
Watchmaking class : 8 month Service & Technician course
Current mood : I'm in the last segment of the basic course which is balance and hairsprings.
Learned how to replace the balance staff and poise them. i
It is good to know some parts of the balance can be replaced instead of ordering the whole balance. Save parts, money saved:D
Hairsprings next week, looking forward to it. Adios:)

Pierre Aubert
Origin : Toulouse, France
Age : 23
Watchmaking class : 2Y Fullskill Program
Current mood: Exam week! I also had the time to prepare the three winding stems that need to be handed in to end the topic. They were just hardened. I need to make the slots and finish them! Have a great week-end :)   

Markus McDonald 
Origin : Stockholm Sweden 
Age : 20
Watchmaking class: 2 years fullskill course 
Current mood : This week was split between my regular schedule of working on my tools and the preparation and execution of my mock exams, although I did two I found them to be a mix of mental attrition and learning as I was able to adapt and learn a lot from my exams such as speed, accuracy and grading and which not only is a good experience in the long term it also helps prepare me for the final exam.
Alex
Origin : Kaohsiung, Taiwan 
Age : 26
Watchmaking : 2Y Fullskill Program
Current mood : Learned how to griind the graver using the Agathon and how to do internal threading with the lathe. Besides that, the week has mostly been practicing on what I have learned so far.

STEP 1: DRILLING IN THE LATHE
Practicing on internal threading drilling the hole first.

STEP 2: HARMAN WORKING WITH VERY SMALL STUFF NOW
KIF Shock Absorber insetting. 87X

The actual size comparison of the shock absorber kept at the center of the coin, human hair on top of coin as well.

working on balance and its poising effect.

STEP 3: MONTHLY COOK OUT!
Buckwheat galette ´crepes´ made by Pierre. it was Delicious!!


STEP 4: GROUP HARDENING
 The three winding stems held in iron wire to maintain them straight and prevent bending. 

Large basket of water + salt to ensure proper cooling during the quenching 

Henrik’s Word
We continued with more trial exams this week for Pierre and Markus. I got to show Alex the Agathon grinding machine and how to drill and thread internal threads and external threads on round stock in the lathe. Harman learn how to rivet balance staffs and attaching rollers to them as well as truing them in the flat, he also did the static poising on them as well as checking the pivots and learning a way of correcting them if bent, next week he will learn to work more with the hairsprings. as there was so short time last week I missed out writing but I had actually an interesting watchmaking visit to Porrentruy that Saturday, below some highlights from that visit, if you are in Switzerland I can highly recommend to visit this very interesting place. Also Eero, who previously took restoration courses with me, came by for a visit and talk with me and the students, he will join us later this year for some special courses. For our monthly cookout Pierre was in charge and made buckwheat galette which was very tasty!! See you next week!

Eero showing the students some raw movements he will later restore.

Eero came by for a visit, always nice to see happy people!

PORRENTRUY VISIT










1 comment:

  1. Félicitations pour les galettes Pierre : tu fais honneur à ta Bretagne natale !!!

    ReplyDelete